Sunday, March 1, 2009

Our Final Trip Begins

Mikes parents came in on Friday night from Indianapolis. We had a great dinner with the family. Unfortunately Neil and Lulu's plane was delayed so they got to dinner at the tail end. We enjoyed time with both parents and my Bro and Stephanie before we embark on this last adventure in Russia. I am thankful to my in-laws for coming with us this last trip. It was so wonderful to have my parents with me during the 10 day wait and now to be able to also share the experience with the Levine's too. I am happy for them to see the orphanage and get to know Tver a little bit. I will be even more grateful for the extra sets of hands once we get the girls out of the orphanage.

We had a very uneventful flight on Aeroflot. I basically slept the entire way. No problems through passport control and customs and our translator and driver were already waiting for us. So we hit the road. We stopped for coffee at McDonald's. Here are some photos of us in the Van during the ride from Moscow and a photo of the McDonald's drive through menu in Russian:
Here is the sign on the road to Tver: It says Tver and St. Petersburg. The one that was closer to Tver was only in Russian but we did pass one a little farther back that was in English also. I was able to get photos of both of them, amazingly considering how fast we were going.

We had an easy drive to Tver and went straight to the hotel. It really feels like I never left. We checked in and relaxed. I transferred all the toys and gifts to one bag, kids stuff into one bag and took out all the food and organized everything. We ate dinner in the hotel dining room where service was ridiculously slow but I was happy to eat as it was really the only meal Mike and I ate all day. We had fun showing off Russia to my in-laws. Of course Lulu is SO not impressed as she is a crazy world traveler. For her Russian visa the form asks for you to list the countries you have visited within the last 10 years and she had to add an additional page stating the 38 countries she has been to multiple times. She was also not thrilled with the 3 flights of stairs up to the room and the additional rather steep and slipper stairs in our duplex room.

So after dinner we were off to bed. We are excited to see our girls tomorrow and introduce them to their other set of grandparents.


On a more sober note: Today we sadly remember Eli Joshua and Samantha Brooke who were born still on March 1st, 2008. I did not think back then that almost exactly a year later Michael and I would be picking up my twins at a Russian Orphanage- but here we are. I am sad to remember that time and am hurting that Eli and Samantha did not have a chance at life. I am amazed that Meredith and Danielle have come into our lives at this exact moment in time and so happy for them to be our daughters. If Eli and Sam had lived we would not be here today. So, for that I have to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment